Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Award-Winning, Hearty Turkey Chilli



No, seriously, I won an award for my Chili. 


Albeit, third, but I placed none the less. 

A little history of how this came to be about. The place I where I work was having a chili cook off to raise money. I decided to enter, but me, being the forward thinking person I am, decided I needed an angle. Something to set me apart from everyone else. 

I figured, why not make a turkey chili. That would be something that no one else would do. And in every competition, you always need an edge. That extra little thing that makes you stand out from the crowd. 

So after scouring the interwebs, mainly Pinterest, I happened upon this recipe.  Silvia from Garden to Kitchen details this tasty recipe. I of course, tweaked it a little bit, as you do.
So on to the Recipe 



Award-Winning, Hearty Turkey Chili

Crock pot portion
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 1 large can Tomato Sauce
  • 1 - 2 bags Black Beans
  • 1 - 2 bags Kidney Beans
  • 1 bag Pinto Beans

Instructions



Clean beans, and either follow the quick cook instructions or soak them over night.  If you don't want to do this step, just buy cans of beans and rinse them. 


Add the first 5 ingredients to the crock pot/ slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and turn on high.


Skillet Portion

  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Med White onion
  • 4 Garlic Cloves, minced and crushed
  • 1 lb Lean Turkey
  • 1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
  • ½ tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, and Paprika enough to cover the meat. 
  • 1 Yellow Pepper, diced
  • 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 1 tbsp Flour
Instructions

In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Chop onions, red pepper, and garlic. (Be sure to crush the garlic to release flavor). 



Add to the skillet. Cook until soft and fragrant (3-5 mins). 



Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Be sure to stir and break the turkey into little chunks (about 10 minutes). 



Add the salt and spices and mix to combine (2 mins). 



Add the tomato paste, chicken broth and flour,  to create a thick and flavorful sauce. When it comes to adding the broth, if it doesn't look like there's enough, add more. If you don't the chili will dry up. 



Add the skillet content into the crock pot/ slow cooker, mix. 



4. Cover tightly and cook on high for 2h to 2½ hours.
Serve!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6-8 servings


There you have it. An award winning chili. I made it a second time and gave some to friends, since nearly my entire family bailed on me when I made it the second time. No complaints there!

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment