Friday, August 29, 2014

In Search Of. . . A Good DIY: Tissue Paper Flowers

In Search Of. . . A Good DIY: Tissue Paper Flowers



All right, so after I finished Jane Eyre, I promised myself I would take a brain break from reading and work on writing. 400 words a day or something ridiculous like that.

To kick off my thing writing extravaganza... I will give you a how-to. In this case, how to make tissue paper flowers. It's not overly difficult thankfully which is probably why I can actually do this, but they really make a present pop, like this one.

  






















First, you have to get all your junk together.
You will need:
  • ·         Tissue Paper
  • ·         A ruler (I used measuring tape and a triangle because I have no ruler and can't cut strait lines.)
  • ·         Scissors
  • ·         A stick of some kind (I have my mom's old panda chopstick.)
  • ·         Super glue
  • ·         Either ribbon or a pipe cleaner. (Basically something to wrap around the center)

  
All right so take the tissue paper and measure out ten inch squares for a large flower. If you're making a poppy, like I am you will need six squares of paper. As far as colors, you can get actually flower colors, or use the paper that matches whatever you're decorating like I did.

 Once you've got your square organize them how you want the flower to fold. The top layer will fold into the center and the each layer after that. Here you can see I put the decorative part for the center.




Ok, so then you will need to accordion fold the paper. For the poppy you do bigger folds. If you’re doing a smaller flower like a dahlia, do a smaller fold. 




 Once you’ve got your paper folded, take your ribbon/pipe cleaner and tie it around the center, but not tightly. Just enough to hold it together.

 You need to cut the edges now. Again flower depends on shape. Poppies have round edges so I used the ribbon bobbin to make my lines neater. I suck at free handing.



Now pull the string a little tighter if you want, but not too tight or you’ll have a big hole in the center of your flower. Then take one end and spread the accordion out so that it makes a fan shape.



Pull the sheets apart towards the center very carefully—and I mean carefully because this stuff rips like—well tissue paper. After, do the other side until you have a flower shape. You can fluff all you like. I also glued the last sheets together at the edge to make it stay better.


And your flower is done. 

For the stick, I used a chop stick so the flower would stand on its own. To decorate it I took a sheet of paper cut a long strip, folded it in half, and piƱata cut the edges. I wrapped it around the stick, gluing it in place at both ends.



 After you’re done decorating your stick find a crevice in the bottom of your flower and glue it there.


And finito! All done. 


Here are my dahlia's and the main reason you shouldn't tie your ribbon/pipe cleaner too tight. You'll have to put random stuff in the middle, but it will still look good though.


<b><a href="http://www.rustandsunshine.com/2012/05/tissue-paper-flowers.html/">Original Tutorial Here as well </a></b>

As Always, 

No comments :

Post a Comment