Thursday, August 21, 2014

In Search Of. . . Observations: Once Upon A Time Romance

In Search Of. . . Observations: Once Upon A Time romance.
 
The other day a guy told me it seemed like I lived in "Once Upon A Time", but he wasn't Prince Charming and I wasn't Cinderella. (Or the princess of my choice because Cinderella gets to my nerves.)
 
And that made me think.
 
Why can't I be?
 
Now, before you all think I'm a hopeless romantic, let me correct you. I'm not. I know full well those characters have predetermined plot points and developments in the show written by excellent writers. What I see though is something I want to emulate.
 
When I see Snow White and Prince Charming, they always encourage each other to do the right thing. It may not be the best thing, but they always try to do what they would consider good.
 
They're selfless too. When one is down and out, the other will give anything to get him back up. Seriously, how many times do they go to Rumplestiltskin to make deals and give sometimes something they treasured for the others safety?
During the curse, the worst torment was they couldn't be together, but still Snow White brings him flowers every day, not knowing who he is.
Why shouldn't a couple be like that?
I think they should.
 
I wouldn't want to date someone who would encourage me to lie, or do anything negative or wrong. I would want someone to encourage me in God. For those of you who don't have a personal relationship with God, someone to encourage you to do the right thing.
Snow White and Charming aren't the only ones who have relationship qualities I would want.
Even Regina, who loved Daniel enough to run away from luxury to be with him, has love qualities I would want.
 
Yes, that didn't work out, but that's more of a plot point that the writer's added in. My point though is that she would run away with someone she loved. That love meant more to her than all of her wealth.

Or how about Belle and Rumpelstiltskin? They never give up on each other. Even when their bad--because each has had his turn--they don't give up on their love. Bae aside, Belle means more to Rumple than any other person. Also, her kiss is the only one that can break the curse. When he kissed Cora, he stayed the Dark One, but not when he kissed Belle.
 
These are just a few examples of true love in the story, and there are flipside examples of fake love in the story too, but I don't want those. I just want to try to emulate the good qualities.
 
Who wouldn't?
 
I mean, to me these all represent qualities of love that I would want. And so, why wouldn't I want to be in a Once Upon A Time love story? If it means always encouraging in the right, being uncomfortable, but together; and never giving up.
So yeah, maybe it's a little far-fetched and maybe my ideas are a little. . . old-fashioned, but that's all right. If people think that they'd rather live in a confused New Girl episode then let them. I'd rather live in Once Upon A Time, and have a straight forward lasting love like the characters in Once Upon A Time.
 
As Always,

No comments :

Post a Comment